How do you treat voided checks on the bank reconciliation?

Definition of Voided Check on Bank Reconciliation

If a check was voided in the current month but was written in the previous month and appeared on the previous month's list of outstanding checks, you should write a journal entry to do the following:

This entry increases the general ledger account Cash (that contains the company's checking account). It also eliminates the debit that had been entered at the time the check was recorded.

Accounting software may allow you to go into a previous period's (as well as the current period's) activity and remove a voided check or change the amount to zero. This will also increase the balance in the Cash account and will remove the debit amount from the account that was originally debited.