Common financial transactions and tasks that are involved in bookkeeping include:
- Billing for goods sold or services provided to clients.
- Recording receipts from customers.
- Verifying and recording invoices from suppliers.
- Paying suppliers.
- Processing employees' pay and the related governmental reports.
- Monitoring individual accounts receivable.
- Recording depreciation and other adjusting entries.
- Providing financial reports.
Today bookkeeping is done with the use of computer software. For example, QuickBooks (from Intuit) is a low-cost bookkeeping and accounting software package that is widely used by small businesses in the U.S.
Bookkeeping requires knowledge of debits and credits and a basic understanding of financial accounting, which includes the balance sheet and income statement.
Gain unlimited access to our bookkeeping seminar videos, bookkeeping proficiency exams (and answers), bookkeeping cheat sheet, visual tutorials, and more—all designed to help you master valuable bookkeeping skills. Learn more about AccountingCoach PRO.